Evergreen Cemetery Monument
Location: 1100 Washington Street, Stoughton
Coordinates: 42°07’00.9″N 71°06’02.9″W
Date dedicated: May 31, 1898
Architect/sculptor/manufacturer: Unknown
Number of names: None

In 1898, the cemetery authorities presented the a plot for a memorial to the A. St. John Chambre Post No. 72 of the Grand Army of the Republic. The Stoughton veterans in turn donated a sum to fund the upkeep of the plot. On Memorial Day 1898 the new memorial “to those who served in the war to preserve the Union and who lie in unknown graves” was dedicated with remarks by Post Commander Ira Drake, a prayer by Rev. S. M. Beale, and an oration by the Rev. Dr. Chambre of Lowell.[1]

Rev. Albert St. John Chambre was born in London in 1834, lived in New Jersey before the war and served as chaplain of the 1st New Jersey Militia and the 8th New Jersey Infantry. After his service, he moved to Stoughton, and served as pastor of the First Parish Church from 1864 to 1872. He was actively involved in establishing Stoughton’s GAR post and assisting its veterans. The post was named in his honor in acknowledgement of his many efforts on behalf of the community. Rev. Chambre eventually moved to Lowell and died there in 1911. His obituary in the Stoughton News-Sentinel noted that the news of his death was received “with deep sorrow by his hosts of friends and admirers in this town, where he was loved, honored and respected far beyond that of any former citizen whom can recall today.”[2]


Faxon Memorial Park Honor Roll
Location: 1 Walnut Street, Stoughton
Coordinates: 42°07’22.0″N 71°05’59.9″W
Date dedicated: Unknown
Architect/sculptor/manufacturer: Unknown
Number of names: 84 men who died in the Civil War (also lists those who died in other wars)

Stoughton’s Civil War dead are memorialized by name on the honor roll placed in Faxon Memorial Park in the center of town. The exact date and the circumstances behind the placement of this memorial are presently unclear.


[1] “Soldiers’ Monument,” Boston Herald, May 31, 1898, 10.
[2] The Stoughton News-Sentinel, December 2, 1911

Leave a Reply